- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1-1/4 cups)
- 1-1/2 lb. baking potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 large carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 recipe Spring Greens, below
- Mixed peppercorns, crushed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat two small baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Drain zucchini in a colander; press to squeeze out excess liquid. In large bowl combine zucchini, potatoes, carrot, flour, 1 of the eggs, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- In extra-large nonstick skillet heat half of the oil over medium heat. To make a pancake, spoon about 1-cup portion of potato mixture into skillet; evenly press and round edges with back of spatula to form a pancake. Cook two pancakes at a time, 4 to 5 minutes each side or until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining oil and potato mixture.
- With the back of a wooden spoon or a 1/4-cup measure gently press each pancake, slightly off-center, to make a 3-inch-diameter depression, deep enough to hold an egg (Pancake Nests, below). Pour one egg in each nest. Place pancakes with eggs in oven, being careful not to tilt baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes or until eggs are cooked through. Transfer pancakes to serving plates. Serve with Spring Greens. Sprinkle with crushed peppercorns. Makes 4 servings.
- Spring Greens: In large bowl combine 3 cups watercress and 1 small carrot, peeled and cut in long strips with vegetable peeler. For dressing, in bowl combine 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and dash of black pepper. Slowly whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil. Toss with watercress and carrot strips.